Followers

Sunday, July 24, 2011

W3 response 1

original from Jacsyn:
Being a coach of 40 girls and two guys for cheerleading, I understand the importance of the Rule Number 6 and the white paper. The conductor of an orchestra is similar to my role as coach. Even though I’m not a conductor or have anything to do with orchestra, I understand the importance the author is conveying of being genuinely interested in the players, in my case, cheerleaders. If I don’t take interest in these girls and their lives, they are more likely not to take my advice when given in practice. The way I run practices is pretty set in structure depending on what type of event were planning for. I also use Facebook like the conductor would use his white paper. In Facebook, we have a private cheerleading page where we can discuss things that wouldn’t need to take up our practice time. For example, the past two weeks, we have been preparing a routine for regional competition that was on Saturday (yesterday). Every night during the week, we have practices for 3 hours each night. Each night we accomplish something different, if it be learning the dance section of the routine, practicing the stunt sequence were using during a certain set of 8-counts during the music and also practicing our 3-minute routine through and through to get timing and spacing all perfect for the big performance at regional’s. Things get pretty intense with stunts and tumbling not going the way that the girls want them to but practice does make perfect. Sometimes if we don’t add in that Rule No. 6, we don’t perform as well. With 20 girls on Varsity, there are tons of attitudes and some negativity that humor is the only way to kick it. Most of the time it’s the things I catch on video that the girls are doing that they don’t know I’m recording. Like one of the musicians performing after a long tiring day of testing and lessons, they were exhausted. Unfortunately, the same goes for the girls while training for tumbling and stunting. The only unfortunate difference is this training while completely exhausted, under pressure and stressed only leads to injury. I have to make sure that my girls do not get to that breaking point. Rule No. 6 and positive reinforcement are my two best friends! 
From Me: Totally agree with Rule Number 6 being the best one to live by when dealing with kids. If you are too serious then they don't take you serious or begin to rebel. The more strict i get in the classroom the more disruptions occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment