Followers

Friday, July 29, 2011

Wk 4 response to Michael C.

original post:
Student opinions and ideas can sometime get overlooked by the teacher. because as educators at times do not value the thoughts of some of our students. In the reading I find myself picturing my classroom and how I do things, I do have a high stool and desk in the front and the rear of my room and that can be seen as the conductors podium as referred in the reading. Many times it can be seen as uninviting to the students if there is not a free line of communication. At times I do find it hard to admit some mistake to the students and then I have to go back and let them know they were right, but that can bring a common ground between the student and teacher. The idea of the white sheet can be used in the classroom to see if the students can present to you a way of doing things that can benefit both but the teacher has to be open for those results to take place.

I can say that I see and experience the downward spiral talk very much as being a teacher. It can sometimes become discouraging because some teachers will not look at the positive aspects of their classrooms and schools. When upset and under appreciated teachers are together in one environment it creates the momentum of the downward spiral talk. As in the reading the more attention we bring to the negative thing not going the way we want the bigger the situation can become.
 
my response:

Kelly Baker said...
When ever a group consists of 2 or more teachers all the conversations end up being about school. You are so right with the direction of the talk. far too often the "shop talk" is about the negative. No one ever says "well how do we fix it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment